Tuesday, October 31, 2006

doing transfers again


I had stopped doing transfers for a while, i was so into printing on silk and so on. I did a few small one in my cloth book, including my first successful tape transfer - wow so easy! for a tape transfer you start with an image you can destroy, this is usually something out of a magazine, newspaper, or something you've made a copy of. I took an image of a toxic waste sign from a catalogue. So i cut it out of the catalogue and laid down a big piece of packing tape over the image. smooth it and burnish. then drop it in water so you can rub the paper off the back, leaving the ink from the image imbedded in the tape's adhesive. when i was done there was very little stickiness left so i used some acrylic gel to glue the sign to the cloth.
it's alot nicer than cutting out the paper and gluing the paper picture to the background, especially if you want to take advantage of both the shininess of the tape and the translucency. when i was done you could still feel the flexibility of the cloth. but is was very small so it had no big affect on the cloth.
Another transfer i did was with an image from my R2400 that had a tiny flaw in it. (the tiny ray of light is not a flaw but a feature of the way it was shot, in person it's cool) it's the image posted with this update. I took a 16 x 20 canvas board and used soft gel gloss to adhere a hand made paper to the surface. then, with plenty of gel on that surface, i laid my print face down onto the gel and burnished. then i ironed it! my poor little travel iron got such a beating these last few weeks. I was worried about the amount of work they was ahead of me because i know the next step was to get rid of the paper. because it was supposed to be a fine art print, i had printed on think paper. So when i peaked under to see if my burnishing and ironing were working i saw that the ink stayed down and the paper was lifting up smoothly! wow. i go very excited but unfortunately this did not last through out the image. I'm not sure what the variables were but there were big patched where i had to wet the paper and rub it off. my fingers got tired so at one point i employed a rough rag, which worked well. but it was easier to press to hard with the rag. I'm not sure about the result, where i like it. I'll try to take a picture of the canvas and post it soon.

2 comments:

One Creative Queen said...

This is a gorgeous picture. I've read through your description of the technique - and it has spurred some additional ideas for me. You gave me an enormous gift - whether you know it or not. I couldn't figure out why I was struggling with this bottle so badly - I've done lots of things that never became such a brain-buster. The more time that passes - and the more artists I speak with, the more techniques I try - the more ragged I get. The more desperate I get. What's up with that?? I couldn't figure it out.

While reading this post, it hit me. Since I didn't purchase the bottle (instead the client had it shipped directly to me), I lost what makes my art unique...my "no fear" approach. My normal free spirit was replaced with doubts and thoughts of what happens if I mess up this lady's bottle.

You know what? WHO CARES?! I'm pretty sure I can buy another one if I really screw this up - but it's time to quit playing it so safe and being "scared". This isn't any different than any other project I've tackled...and I don't remember paying any attention to the guy at the paint store when I told him how I planned to paint my son's dresser (an eon ago). The guy's head shaking, strange looks, and negative comments seemed to spur me on - not make me question my ability or vision.

Time to get back with that! I may wind up with a whole collection of lame bottles by the time it's all done...but hey. Maybe some gallery will appreciate the conquest? If not, I have 3 kids I "owe"...so I can always leave them the collection in my will. bahahaha The best revenge. ;)

Thanks so much - you've inspired me beyond your wildest thoughts! xx

daydreamer said...

so glad to be an inspiration. i end up falling in love with so many of my failures!go without fear!!!!