Thursday, October 12, 2006

working with silk


I'm starting to work with that wonderful silk from Jacquard my friend gave me.

She gave me 2 packages, each with one long thin silk scarf. SO SOFT!

I'm trying to press it before putting it on the paper to print and i can't get the creases out. should i: 1) be more patient and keep ironing; 2) turn up the heat past the silk setting; 3) hand wash the silk to get the creases out; 4) other?

well after extensive use of 1 and 2, i finally I got to 3 and got the creases out by wetting the scarves and pressing them again.

then i ironed the long silk scarves onto a very long sheet of freezer paper. This will allow me to feed the silk through my printer and print directly onto the silk with the paper holding it steady.

boy was that hard. in the end i convinced myself that all the imperfections are what will make the scarf special, not your K-mart reproducible fake painted scarf. but i'm rationalizing in part cuz i really found it so hard! nothing wanted to stay put.

i had imagined being able to iron the silk on nice and straight. instead it wiggles like trying to put jello thru a pasta machine!

I may start all over tomorrow ironing on a table top, not using the ironing board like my friend suggested.

I will do my first print tomorrow.

the image is the one i made for the scarf. it's a composite of several of my images. see how talented i am!

No comments: