Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Walking on the beach with my lensbaby

I guess i'm feeling subdued. the weather is turning colder and the wind is picking up at the beach. each day the chaparral; changes. I don't think most of the plants loose their leaves, but they turn colors and die back. It's really beautiful. getting down on my haunches and sticking my camera and nose down into the low growing succulents too see them as we normally wouldn't, it's a magical feeling; like being inside a secret. with the lensbaby it's even more like fantasy. i see the lens breaking apart the light that the plants are reflecting back at me. I'm ever aware that what i capture is reflected light but when is see it being stretched and the light positively glowing i really feel that my subject is not the plant on the ground but something completely without material substance. the reflected light interacts with and is changed by the direct light and then i mix them both inside the lens as i move each element's position relative to the other. I've always wondered why the lens is a baby. i suppose the inventor simply thought of his creation as "my baby" but i now think that the lens is birthing the baby of the new manipulated light.

No comments: