Monday, October 16, 2006

an another installment for the long list of sh*t that can and does go wrong.

mostly i have fun telling the tales of all the stuff that goes wrong. but sometimes it bugs me. like the other day. a clear example of the scramble my brain took from the chemo and never fully recovered! I had these wonderful brochures to go out about the open studios coming up. they were specifically for artists in the Sunset district of California - calling attention to how easy we are to see. I personalized them by circling my house on the neighborhood map, circling my contact info and securing a little insert about my new work. I spent hours putting this together and then dug up some stamps i had. They were lovely, each with a different building famous for it's unique architecture. I stopped and wondered, was the postage correct? I couldn't remember when i'd bought them, or when the last time postage was raised or what the postage is nowadays. So i had a brainstorm, i rifled through the mail that had come the day before. most of the mail had stamps that said "First Class" and not the amount. then i found one stamped with a meter that said 37 cents. Great! my stamps are 37 cents! So i stuck them on until i ran out and skipped down to the corner (OK I don't skip anymore what with one thing and another!) and happily deposited my first bundle of advertisement for the Open Studios. Whew glad to have that done it think - clueless as usual. well it came out the next day when i was sending my daughter to the post office to get more and i said to her - get a hundred 37 cent stamps - No my husband says 39 cents. 39? your kidding right??
well of course he wasn't and there was nothing i could do about tossing all that time and effort and money in the trash - cuz you know i won't get them back til after the open house and they will have ugly stamps all over them about how i have melting butter for brains.

But i noticed that i have a really different attitude about these things than i did when i was young. I used to have such a hard time with my art because i would visualize it and then things went wrong and it never came out like it was in my head, which meant i had failed to express myself and i likely tossed it out. Now i see that it's part of being in the material world that manifesting your vision is full of twists and turns and unexpected bends in the road. it's from these challenges that the art really gets made: in solving the problems, trying a different way or actually liking the way the materials took on a life of their own and created something maybe even better than your original vision.

I figure most of those people in that first mailing didn't really want to get the mailing so it all turned out for the best! Today i sent out over 100 more - with 39 cent on each one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your comment about art projects not coming out of your head as envisioned, but deciding that the struggle was part of the natural process was a very deep one for me! I'm a wannabe artist who is confronting just that issue! I can see it, but I can't get there and it's hard to pull it out. You alluded in your website that your art is not effortless. I thank you for both insights which are giving me courage:-) The sharing has touched me all the way on the east coast. I'm also going to share your blog/site with my neighbor who has been machine embroidering Hebrew on the necklines of the beautiful quilted prayer shawls she creates. The joy of the Internet - you never know what you'll find...much like your lovely beach! Hugs!

daydreamer said...

diana:
thanks! i'm glad that describing my trials and tribulations inspire you! making art is never smooth sailing. just because we may have inspired moments and sometime really get in the grove, doesn't mean that the day to day doesn't take just plain hard work involving frustration disappointment. eventually you can get more ease and somedays it does really flow! overall it's a pleasure.
I lived on the east coast for a while in NYC and New Jersey. I hope you saw my wall hangings where i'd incorporated Hebrew into it. I have two more that i should post that have phrases from psalms. I am working toward making silk prayer shawls, but i have some skills yet to learn.