Thursday, October 12, 2006

i love my mac! but...

Unfortunately Address Book ( a native program on my Mac) just can't get it right. It guesses what i mean to be typing, before i've even hesitated ... as tho i actually want it's help, and it goes right ahead an puts its guess there unless i actively delete it.

for example, I spell my name in lower case letters, but no one else in my family does. but if i attempt to type our last name in a field Address Book insists on making it lower case, even tho i started out with an upper case G. so i try to handle it by back spacing and adding a capitol G . but it lowers the case automatically. So i try to really fool it by adding an uppercase G between the lower case G and the rest of the name (this works with other programs) so i can go back and delete the lower case g after. But no, now it types the whole name in front of the new G so instead of "Garelick" I end out with gGarelickarelick. If i go ahead and leave it, it turns the new upper case G to a lower case.

what a waste of time.

then there's guessing at first names. I have a friend named Jonah. guess what happens when i start an entry for my friend Jon. But do i notice? No cuz i hunt and peck so i'm not looking at the screen to see that Address Book has added info to the field when i didn't ask it to.
and forget it for people named Michael. I have a relative Michael who's married to Gretta (nice gal) so to save time i made their entry say Michael-Gretta. now Address Book adds -Gretta to every Michael i know, just by my action of tabbing to the next field. OMG it did this for a client and sent out an e-mail like that before i noticed that Address Book had added my friend's wife to my clients name!

I hope you all find my examples amusing. I hope even more that someone will say - oh yeah they fixed that in May just go to the preferences and toss such and such file.

No comments: