Monday, October 16, 2006

working wtih silk the saga continues

It's not the silk that's difficult it's the darn mac printer driver for my lovely r2400 printer.

it's not apples fault. the driver is made by epson and they were just plane lazy not including basic functionality that's in the widow's version of their driver etc. so the issue in this case is printing banner prints - and getting the printer to act nicely.
the driver does not include predefined banner sized paper. so you have to "define" your own paper. I made one up and ran a test print using my new silk scarf ironed onto the freezer paper (see below). it started the print in the middle and stopped after about 11 inches of ink. bummer!
so i did a little research and found this really helpful personal website called convolutedbrian (http://www.convolutedbrian.com/epson-r2400-custom-roll-paper-sizes-macintosh.html). The fellow is

I used his advise to use the specific width of 13.14 for my custom printer and then asked for 44 inches.

I cut up a roll of plain paper for the second test, rather than make a mess of my silk. based on his experiments i made the paper longer than 44 inches because the printing always starts 2 inches into the paper with this method.

And my test went very well - except that it never fully ejected the paper and attempts to force the printer to spit it out caused it to pull the paper back up into it's innards and spew it out the slot for the exiting of very think materials which one feeds through the front. this is not ok cuz it rumpled it and put smudges on the paper. so i guess that's another step to research cuz mr convoluted doesn't mention this problem, he's working with rolls that he cuts off as the prints come out.

I will not be beaten - i will get this printed as i want it!

(BTW it looks like I'll need to pump up the saturation to get the colors i want on the silk.

No comments: