Tuesday, October 24, 2006

a new window falls in my lap

i was coming home form shopping and there were more broken windows in the back of the truck where they're renovating the house a few houses down. I often look and see what they are dragging out of there. Usually things a re too busted up. but i could see at least one of them was in great shape. So i went and asked the construction worker if he was throwing out the windows. so he let me have the one that wasn't broken. It's huge! with two beautiful old handles.

at first the guy gestured like i should climb up there on his oversized pick up truck - you know the kind you can never see around when changing lanes on the bay bridge in a wind storm - and get it myself. so while i was looking for a way up there, he climbed up and started pulling it out from among the broken ones. I saw that the window frame was about to catch on the handle of the one next to it so i reached under the window as he lifted it and tried to push the broken one with the intrusive handle up and away. but there were so many other broken windows and doors that it was too heavy for me. so i called out to the worker "the handle!"

he kept yanking,

one of the broken windows broke some more! he started twisting the window to get it unstuck from the handle and the other window broke and glass fell all over the truck bed. I was pretty scared that he'd break the main window by now. he has it swaying over my head at a 45 degree angle - i moved fast! then with a great crash the offending handle let go and fell with it's window frame and glass into the truck bed shattering yet more glass. Now all i can say is "Oh my goodness!" (sounding too much like little orphan annie).

he swings the window over the side of the monster truck and hands it to me - and i'm grabbing it while the bottom edge is above my head! I was so scared he was just going to let go - assuming that i was as strong as he. but he moved it gently down to where i had it under control. I thanked him profusely and carried the treasure home having to stop 3 times to rest on the way.

how exciting.

this thing is 5 feet tall, comes up to my eyes!

2 comments:

alex said...

Wow! Would love to see a photo of it! Let me know if/when you post it.
-Alex (from InkJetTransfers)

daydreamer said...

Alex:
Thank you for posting a comment to my blog!
this is a link to the first window i've done. that one is 42" x 25" and is one of a series of three that are quite similar.
this new window that almost fell in my lap is even bigger- about 5 feet tall!- so i haven't decided what to do with it yet. I'm thinking of one of my new dreamy shots and maybe going back to the original idea of using an overhead transparency transfer instead of the silk as with the first three.